Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Crocheting It Up

So, I picked up a new hobby. Anyone surprised? I have decided that I will learn to crochet.

I was totally inspired by the Lullaby Lubbock circle scarves. They are beautiful and I have even put one on my Christmas list (crossing my fingers Santa comes through).

Anyway, last Thursday night I forced Danny to come with me to JoAnns so I could get the supplies to start my new hobby. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that starting a crocheting hobby requires minimal start up costs (unlike candle making which I seriously considered a couple of months ago, I know I am totally bizarre). We skipped out of JoAnns $12.32 later with two things of fluffy yarn and a snazzy teal crocheting needle!

I got home that night and got straight to work by watching a few you tube videos. I decided that my first project would be to make Danny a gray scarf with some maroon in it for the Aggies. After unraveling my project a few times I finally got a pretty decent looking few rows of stitches but my fingers got tired so I stopped.

Then, one night this weekend, I made a rookie mistake and left the dogs inside the house while we went to hang out with some friends and we came home to find this:

The number one suspect is this guy:

According to Danny, he was very intrigued with my yarn earlier in the day and Danny had to tell him to leave it alone. I am not sure why at that point Danny didn’t move my yarn and project to a higher place where the dog couldn’t get it but whatever.

So I started over on the scarf and as of today I have this nine inch masterpiece!

I think I am going to need a lot more yarn and a few months before this thing gets finished.

Danny suggested I turn it into a sweater for Oliver since he likes yarn so much but I feel the same way about crocheting as I do about sewing so I only do things that require straight lines. Basically, the only thing I can crochet is scarves and the only things I sew are curtains and pillow covers.

Once I am a little more confident in my crocheting skills I will try make myself a circle scarf or I will decide I am over crocheting and find a new hobby.

2 comments:

  1. Good job! Next time my aunt is around I will have her give us all some lessons... she hangs out at a knit shop a few days a week and knits with some other retired ladies!

    ReplyDelete