Sunday, January 23, 2011

I Can't Speak Spanish but I Can Make Tortillas

That's right, I can now make homemade flour tortillas and they taste amazing!

So where did I get my recipe? My Mexican mother? No. One of my Mexican grandmothers? Nope. A white lady from Oklahoma? Yup! I used this recipe from the Pioneer Woman herself.


I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it really was and how delicious they taste. I think they are better than the ones I buy from the tortilla ladies at Kroger which is saying a lot because I think those are pretty authentic. So long Kroger ladies, Mitz is now making her own tortillas!

I also made some chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes this weekend that were AMAZING as well. I was doing a test run for the Cupcakes, Champagne and Panty Exchange party that the girls and I are having in a couple of weeks.



I didn't have a piping bag to make the frosting look nice, so while they don't look beautiful, they tasted totally yummy. I was pretty proud of myself since A) I don't really like to bake or cook and B) this is the first thing I have baked successfully in this house. I blame B on our gas oven that Danny just had to have. We recently realized that when it said it was preheated it really wasn't so my baked good just never turned out right.

For a girl who doesn't like to cook I sure did try a lot of new recipes this weekend. I am not turning over a new leaf or anything, I will leave the cooking to the real cook in this house, but my in-laws came over this weekend to help with the bathroom makeover and I didn't want to look like a worthless wife just sitting on the couch, so I kept myself busy in the kitchen instead. I don't really like to participate in home renovation projects until we are at the stage where I can paint and decorate so I do whatever I can to look busy so I am not expected to help. So far, this technique has totally worked for me.

Stay tuned for Week 4 of our bathroom makeover! We (by we I mean Danny and his parents) made some real progress this week!

3 comments:

  1. ooh I'm going to have to taste those tortillas! and swipe the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was totally going to comment about the tortillas and how excited I am for the cupcakes until I got distracted by the last picture... what is Danny wearing?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am sooooooooo impressed-does this mean you are obsessed with Ree now too!?!?

    ReplyDelete