Sunday, January 16, 2011

My Granddaddy

This is my granddaddy.
I know I shouldn't have favorites, but I do, it’s him. Growing up he used let us sit on his lap in the recliner and he would give us sips of his beer, take us camping in his RV, take us “fishing” in the swimming pool, and when none of our moms would come outside to watch us swim (an adult always had to be watching us) he would come outside and watch us for as long as we wanted to swim. He is always happy to see us when we walk into the door and is so proud of his grand kids (especially his Aggie grand kids).

This past weekend I was super proud of him. I flew to my grandparent’s home town because the high school gym was being named after my grandpa!!! How amazing is that?!?!?! My grandpa spent his whole career as an educator in Kingsville, Texas. He started off as a teacher and coach, then became an assistant principal, principal and at the end of his career the personnel director.

Unfortunately, my grandpa fell down at his house a few hours before his big ceremony and broke his hip so he couldn't make it. After we found out the diagnosis and got him settled in at the hospital for the night, my grandma and brother stayed with him and the rest of the family went to the ceremony.

I was so devastated that my grandpa couldn't be at the ceremony to see all the people that were there to support him. Instead, my mom and my aunts stood there in his place. It was definitely a bitter sweet night for us. We were all so happy and proud but we were missing the guest of honor. He would have loved seeing the old coaches he used to work with, his old players and friends and family from near and far.


This was definitely not how I expected my weekend to turn out, but I am so glad I was there to celebrate this awesome occasion.

1 comment: