Monday, September 28, 2009

How to Make Fortune Cookies

We had our monthly girls dinner last night over at Jen's house. The theme this time was Asian food. I decided I would bring homemade fortune cookies. This sounds hard, but is actually really easy and they taste so yummy! Everyone loved the fortune cookies (there were seven of us and we ate about 30 fortune cookies) so I figured I would put together a quick how to.

Step 1:
Kick the dogs out of the kitchen.

Step 2:
Find an assistant (you would think it would help that he is part Asian, but we still ruined the first 3 batches)

Step 3:
Assemble all your ingredients -
3 egg whites
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons water

Step 4:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets with Pam.

Step 5:
Make up silly fortunes and cut them into strips.

Step 6:
In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites and sugar on high speed of an electric mixer until frothy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and stir in melted butter, vanilla, almond extract, water and flour one at a time, mixing well after each. Consistency should resemble pancake batter. Spoon the batter into 3 inch circles on the prepared baking sheets.


Step 7:
Bake for 5 to 7 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges begin to brown slightly. Quickly remove one at a time, place a message in the center, and fold in half. Fold the ends of the half together into a horse shoe shape. If they spring open, place them in a muffin tin to cool until set.

Step 8:
Pause for a trick

Step 9:
Eat your yummy cookies!!!!

2 comments:

  1. How fun! If I can find the patience, I'll try to make these sometime..

    Ps- I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog. It's been soo long since I've seen you, and I must say, you're just as precious as I remember. I've been enjoying your posts thoroughly. And a super duper congratulations is in order for your engagement!! So excited and happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin!!! Thanks so much, I am really excited and in full wedding planning mode! Tori mentioned that she is going to get so see you this weekend! I am going to have to tell her to give you an extra big hug for me!

    ReplyDelete