Friday, March 16, 2012

What's in a Name?

Baby girl officially has a name!

Liliana Adele (aka Lily)

For the past couple of years I had thought that I would name my daughter Lyla (after one of the main characters on the show Friday Night Lights). I mentioned it to Danny way back when and he randomly said he liked the name Lily better so if we had a daughter named Lyla he would just call her Lily. Ummm, no.

Flash forward to October 2011. My dad and I are sitting in the funeral home with the director and she is asking us what kind of flowers we want in the big spray that will be sitting on my mom' s coffin and I had no idea what to say. She asked me what her favorite flower was so I told her gardenias and magnolias which are totally random and obviously not the type of cut flowers that a florist has. She then suggested lilies but I could not for the life of me picture what a lily looked like. She took me back to see an arrangement from a funeral the prior day and I told her lilies would be fine.

I left the funeral home panicked and worrying about those stupid flowers. I knew I would hate myself if the giant flower arrangement on the top of my mom's coffin was ugly. Everyone who came to the funeral home would see that thing and more than anything I just wanted it to look beautiful for her.

When we got to the funeral home the next morning and walked into the room where they had everything set up the first thing I noticed was the flowers. As Danny and I walked up the aisle toward the coffin I immediately said, "Those flowers look amazing. Lilies are my new favorite flower."

I got back to Dallas a couple of weeks after the funeral and casually mentioned to Danny that if we had a daughter one day I wanted to call her Lily because of the flowers at my moms funeral. He was totally on board since he had liked the name Lily from the beginning!

Adele (like the singer) came about because I was trying to come up with a name that was similar to my mom's name, Delma. She didn't really like her name in the first place so I figured she would be cool with me not naming my child after her. I was looking at a list of baby names online one day and obviously never got past the A's. I saw Adele and thought it sounded similar to Delma, it went well with Liliana, and when I mentioned it to Danny he said ok so that was that!

We can't wait to meet our little Liliana Adele!

3 comments:

  1. Glad it's officially posted, that means it's a keeper and baby girl can start having things with her name and/or initials on them! ;) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Super excited to start referring to her as Lily instead of Baby Tsukahara :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am really excited about the baby. we can still think her name has a subtle tribute to FNL...but mostly to your mom :)

    also, i tagged you. i've never done one of these...
    http://theanntidote.blogspot.com/2012/03/blog-tag.html

    ReplyDelete