Sunday, May 20, 2012

Another Angel in Heaven

Yesterday we buried my granddaddy.

I_0157



He was the greatest grand father ever. He was so laid back and easy going with his grand kids. I think all of my cousins and I have memories of sitting with granddaddy in his recliner and taking sips of his beer. He was also the one we would go to when we wanted to get in the swimming pool at his house but none of our moms wanted to go outside and watch us. He would come out to sit on the patio to watch us swim (I am pretty sure he fell asleep most of the time) as long as we wanted him to. He used to take my brother "fishing" in the swimming the pool and he would take us on trips in his RV. I remember going to Gardner State Park one year in the RV and my granddaddy and I went on an errand in the car and he let me stand up and stick my head out of the sunroof (totally unsafe and my mom would have been mortified) while he blasted a tape of Alvin and the Chipmunks singing Christmas carols and we sang along. I have no idea why my grandparents had that tape in their car or why we decided to play Christmas songs in the middle of the summer, but I loved it and I love that I have that memory.

The past few months had been a struggle. He got sick right after Christmas and had been in and out of the hospital frequently since then. We knew the doctors could not do anything else for him and that the end was coming but I don't think you are ever really prepared for someone you love to pass away. My grandma and aunts did an amazing job taking care of him.

As sad as I was to see him go, it made me feel so much better to know that my mom was already in Heaven waiting for him. I prayed all time for him to have no pain or fear when the time came and I just know my mom was waiting right there to hold his hand and take away his fear as he walked into Heaven. It also makes me smile to think that she has her daddy there with her now even though we are missing him down here.


1 comment:

  1. God bless cute lil' grandaddy! I'm glad your mom has him with her in Heaven now.

    ReplyDelete