Monday, December 28, 2009

A Christmas road trip with Oliver and my best bud Dramamine


This holiday season Oliver and I made the 9 hour road trip down to South Texas to spend Christmas with my family. You may be wondering why I don't just fly home for Christmas instead of subjecting myself to 9 hours in the car and it really all just comes down to baggage. When I go home for Christmas I have a lot of presents to take home and a lot to bring back with me and I don't know if you have seen how much it costs to check bags at the airport nowadays but I am not prepared to have to stuff all my belongings into a suitcase and then pay $20 for my first checked bag and then who knows how much for my second one. So I drive.

This years trip was made even more fun because I had Ollie in the passenger seat as my co-pilot. Only problem with this is that Ollie gets car sick. Jon, Shellie and Ann have all seen Ollie's projectile vomit skills while on a road trip. Let me tell you, there is nothing worse than being trapped in a car with a dog that is barfing and refuses to even try and get it into the bag you are shoving in his face.
Anyway, I figured since Ollie was a year old now maybe he had outgrown his car troubles and could make it the whole way without being sick. Not the case. An hour and a half into the trip Ollie lost his breakfast so we had to pull over and clean up. An hour and a half after the first incident he got sick again and we had to pull over for another clean up session. And a couple hours after that again. At least the third time he got sick he didn't really have much left in his stomach so clean up was a breeze and I had planned ahead and carefully positioned him so that each time he got sick he didn't get anything dirty in my car. Hallelujah!

We finally made it all the way home and had a nice relaxing Christmas with all my family (we were missing Danny and Ender though since they stayed in Dallas).

When it was time to pack up on Saturday morning to make the drive back to Dallas I could not handle the thought of having to deal with a barfing dog again so I did what I had to do. I gave Ollie some Dramamine (this was recommended by our veterinarian). This worked like a charm! Oliver slept the entire 9 hours home!!! He would occasionally wake up to switch sleeping positions but that was it! It was amazing! It was a much more enjoyable ride for both of us and I will never again go on a road trip with that guy without my new best bud Dramamine!

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodnesss....ok i will ride in the car again with ya'll if you bring the dramamine :)

    ReplyDelete