Thursday, October 14, 2010

Pillow Project

Recently I have been on the hunt for some fall colored pillows to warm up the living room color scheme for the fall and winter seasons.

I searched high and low and just could not find what I was looking for in my budget. It is hard to bring myself to spend $20 plus dollars on a pillow no matter how cute it is!

So, I came to the conclusion that I was going to have to make my own. The problem here is that home decorating fabric can be really expensive too, $12-$30 a yard. I was back at square one, not wanting to spend a fortune just to have new pillows. Then, one day, I was on my weekly visit to Hobby Lobby and I hit the jackpot! Coordinating fabrics in the color scheme I had been looking for on super clearance for $7 a yard!!!

2 yards and $14 dollars later I was on the way to making four new pillow covers!


I saw these pillows from Pottery Barn that used a flap and buttons instead of a zipper and I thought that would be the easiest option for my novice sewing skills.



My little helper

It ended up being a super easy project and I was able to make all 4 pillow covers in under an hour.
When I showed them to Danny he said they looked professional and I kind of had to agree. Definitely my best project to date!


Here are the finished products in their new home on the sofa.



3 weeks later I am happy to report that the pillows have not fallen apart and actually still look really great!

I think I have purchased my last pillow. From now own it is homemade pillow covers for me!

3 comments:

  1. awesome job! i'm going to need a consultation on some next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I'm so impressed by your pillows!!! They totally look like the ones I idiotically would pay $20-30 for. I should put that money in the Mitzi Pillow Project Fund!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are so great!!! good job!!! love the tassles.

    ReplyDelete