Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Green Door

This past weekend I gave our front door a little face lift!

Our front door was pretty drab and I would love to get a new one, but those things are expensive. So instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a new door I decided to just give it a little $20 update.

This was our front door. Boring, dirty and blah black.

<span class=

<span class=
My little helper peeking out!

It definitely needed some color. I decided to go with a color called Chopped Chives. I figured green would look nice with our red brick and black shutters and it wasn't too girly for Danny to veto.

I am not a novice painter but I decided to go ahead and check out some front door painting posts from my favorite DIY blog Young House Love. I knew they had tackled this same project on their own home recently so I re read their post so I could get some pointers.

It took me five thin coats to get the coverage I wanted I on the door. Every time Danny would walk by he would say, "Wow, that is green". I think he was worried about the final product!

<span class=

While I had all the hardware off the door I decided to go ahead and give it a quick paint job also. Again, I took some pointers from Young House Love on this. It really is amazing what a difference a little bit of spray paint can make! It totally gave the door hardware new life. I was worried about it scratching off easily but so far we have not had any problems.

Here is the new front door in all of its green glory! It did turn out a little brighter than I thought it would but I am really happy with it. It just looks so much more cheery and inviting.

<span class=
IMG_4995



1 comment: