Monday, April 7, 2014

A New Old Table


One of the best parts about our house in Morocco is the outdoor area. We have a nice pool with a great patio surrounding it that has a fireplace and a nice grassy area off to the side for Lily to play. The only problem we had for the first 2 months of living here is that we had no where to sit so we could enjoy it!

I knew I wanted to have a table made out of an old Moroccan door. I thought this would be super easy to do and that old doors would just be lying on the side of the road. That wasn't the case. The problem is that Agadir was almost totally destroyed in 1960 when it is was hit by a huge earthquake. Most of what is in the city today is newer so they don't really have many old doors lying around. Also, people here just didn't get my vision and thought I was crazy for wanting to put a wooden table outside where it could get damaged by the sun and rain.

When we went on our trip to Essaouira around Valentine's Day, I was determined to find a old door that we could have made into a table. I had shown Danny some pictures online of what I was envisioning and he agreed that a table made out of an old door would be awesome.

Since Essaouira is a very old city, we had a much easier time finding what we were looking for! We found a nice sized colorful wood door in a little antique type shop. I showed the guy what I wanted the table legs to look like and a little bit of haggling on price and 4 weeks later we had our new old table!

 photo DSC07285_zps1caedc47.jpg  photo DSC07286_zps13c4d16d.jpg  photo DSC07289_zpse5180b2e.jpg  photo DSC07293_zps652d93dc.jpg  photo DSC07296_zpsffc9514d.jpg  photo DSC07299_zps5f6d9324.jpg

We have had the table for a few weeks now and totally love it. It has been so nice to be able to eat meals outside or just sit around to enjoy the Moroccan sunshine!

post signature

1 comment: